The Fund publishes its first Sailors’ News
The Fund introduces its own newspaper, Sailors' News, as part of its information service.Show more
The publication is distributed to friends of the Fund and the press, who often reprint articles and news items.
After the Second World War, the decline of the British Empire and economic hardships in Britain forced reduction in size and capability of the Royal Navy.
01 June 1952
HM The Queen becomes Patron of King George’s Fund for Sailors
HM Queen Elizabeth II becomes Patron of King George's Fund for Sailors, ahead of her coronation on 2 June 1953.Show more
In keeping with the tradition set by previous Royal patrons, she was also a regular subscriber herself.
In 1956, the Spyros Niarchos was the largest ship sailing and she had a deadweight of merely 46,000 tonnes.
05 November 1953
The Second World War extension of the Tower Hill Memorial unveiled by HM The Queen
HM The Queen unveils the Second World War extension of the Tower Hill Memorial in London, which commemorates nearly 36,000 men and women of the Merchant Navy and Fishing Fleets who died in both World Wars and have no grave but the sea.