Seafarers UK is a charity that has been helping people in the maritime community for 100 years, by providing vital support to seafarers in need and their families. We do this by giving grants to organisations and projects that make a real difference to people’s lives, across the Merchant Navy, Fishing Fleets and Royal Navy.
Primary Job Purpose:
- To deliver a programme of fundraising events.
- To recruit participants to all challenge events.
- To meet fundraising targets for each event.
- To provide support for corporate engagement.
Fundraising Manager, Individuals & Events
- To be responsible for the project management of delegated events from the annual Seafarers UK events programme. This will involve regular contact with event suppliers/organisers and the participants.
- To focus primarily on delivering Seafarers UK challenge events – i.e. London Marathon, the 24 Peaks Team Challenge and RideLondon100 – but also a public fundraising day and potentially one fundraising dinner each year.
- To make a strong return and profit (after all costs) on all events – aiming to increase income and reduce costs where possible.
- Establishing a routine connection and regular communication plan with all key challenge event participants, with an aim to motivate and inspire them by offering support and encouragement, acknowledging their fundraising efforts and keeping them updated on how their donations have helped.
- Processing of applications for national running/cycling events such as the London Marathon and Ride London 100.
- Development of support mechanisms for each event, including information/fundraising packs and guidelines for various types of fundraising activity.
- Ensure all legal event requirements are adhered to e.g. risk assessment, insurance compliance.
- Management of event budgets, project plans and mailing lists
- To engage with our existing supporters (corporate individuals in the main), but also the general public where appropriate, encouraging them to sign up or get involved, and to fundraise.
- Work with the Marketing Team and Campaigns Manager to ensure all marketing/PR opportunities for events are used to achieve maximum impact.
- To ensure that all records of event participants are up to date and properly recorded (including individuals preferred methods of communication) and segmented within the database (Raiser’s Edge).
- Working with the Corporate Fundraising Manager, seek and secure corporate sponsorship for each event.
- To further develop the existing core events programme for Seafarers UK, helping to raise its profile with supporters (particularly corporates) wherever possible.
- Provide a support role for the development of corporate fundraising contacts, assisting with presentations and proposals, especially when events are involved.
- To identify and research new fundraising and challenge event ideas and opportunities that appeal in particular to those working in the commercial maritime sector.
- To provide regular monthly updates on progress in recruiting participants and in managing the events income stream. This role will also be the primary contact with the Finance Department with regard to events income and cost issues.
- Providing post event evaluation reports to inform future event planning.
- Monitoring levels of merchandise and fundraising materials/items need for events, replenishing when necessary and maintaining a neat stock room.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties in support of Seafarers UK’s Charitable Objectives as needed or appropriate.
Skills and experience
Essential to the role is:
- Previous practical experience of organising and delivering successful fundraising and challenge events
- Confidence and proven skills in relationship building
- An ability to persuade and motivate
- Ability to manage a workload of multiple events and corporate relationships
- Enthusiasm, creativity and energy
- Excellent organisational skills
- Being a team player
- Ability to attend events in out of office hours – sometimes over the weekend
- Excellent communication skills to include verbal, written and presentation skills
- Capable in Word, Outlook, Excel and Raiser’s Edge
Other desirable skills and attributes:
- Experience of digital and social media promotion
- Experience in customer care
- Experience of special events requiring particular protocol
- Empathy with the needs of supporters
- Current UK Driving License
Deadline for applications: 9 March 2018.
Interviews will be held week commencing 12 March 2018.
For more information about the role or applying, please email email@example.com.
Seafarers UK will only use the personal information provided in order to process the application in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Seafarers UK is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment; the objective is to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated solely on the basis of their relevant aptitudes, skills and abilities.