Seafarers UK (King George’s Fund for Sailors) is committed to protecting your privacy.
Seafarers UK is a data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 and is registered at the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Seafarers UK is committed to safeguarding the privacy of contacts held on its contacts database.
The information we collect
Data is collated from various sources, including:
- contacts made by staff members during the course of their work
- information arising from the completion of forms on our website
- donations made to Seafarers UK (including Gift Aid declarations)
- orders for Christmas Cards and other items sold by Seafarers UK
- requests from individuals to be added to our mailing lists
- responses to invitations to conferences and other events
- participants in Seafarers UK and other fundraising events.
How we use this information
- Your personal information is only used with your knowledge
- Only personal information that we actually need is collected
- Your personal information is only seen by those who need it to do their jobs
- We will not pass your personal information on to any other organisation without your agreement unless required to do so by law
- Personal information is retained only for as long as it is required
- We will endeavour to keep your personal information up to date
- Your personal information will be protected from unauthorised or accidental disclosure
- We will provide you with a copy of your personal information on request
- Inaccurate or misleading data will be corrected as soon as possible
- These principles apply whether we hold your personal information on paper or in electronic form.
Information about you is held on our contacts database. You may at any time request to see and amend this data. If you would like to do so please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Executive Manager, Seafarers UK, 8 Hatherley Street, LONDON, SW1P 2QT.
Information is used for mailing literature, appeals, invitations to events, and for collating general marketing information for strategic purposes. If information is used for the latter purpose, it will be used in such a manner that your anonymity is guaranteed on an external basis. Internally, all our employees and any third parties we engage to process your personal information are obliged to respect the confidentiality of your information.
You are allocated to mailing lists according to either a) your own requests or b) our belief as to which of our services would be of relevance and importance to you.
At the bottom of every mailing we send out, we offer you the opportunity to opt out of any future mailings of that type, or indeed, request to be completely removed from our contacts database. Please see the privacy wording at the end of each individual mailing for specific details.
You may request to be removed from our contacts database at any time by writing to Executive Manager, Seafarers UK, 8 Hatherley Street, LONDON, SW1P 2QT.
Seafarers UK is committed to safeguarding the privacy of visitors to its website.
The information we collect
You are not required to provide any personal information on the public areas of this website. However, you may choose to do so by completing the forms on various sections of our website, including:
- Contact us form
- Flagpost e-newsletter sign up form
- Donation forms
How we use this information
We will only use the information you provide to us on these sections of the website in order to process the relevant form. Please see the privacy wording on the relevant form for a more detailed explanation of how your information will be used. Data will be held on our contacts database.
Please note that in order to process your form we may on occasion be required to share your information with third parties who provide services on our behalf. In relation to any other third parties we will only disclose your information where you have given your consent or where we are required to do so by law, or where it is necessary for the purpose of, or in connection with legal proceedings or in order to exercise or defend legal rights.
Unfortunately in most cases there are no industry standard options for disabling cookies without completely disabling the functionality and features they add to this site. Although it is recommended that you leave on all cookies, you can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser. If you want to know how to do this please follow the link below, which will also provide more information about the way cookies work on this website: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/. For more general information on cookies see the Wikipedia article on HTTP Cookies.
Some of the content on our site is provided by third parties. This includes but is not limited to: Google Maps for interactive mapping, YouTube for hosted video and Flickr for images. When you visit a page containing content from one of these sites a cookie may be set. We do not have any control over these cookies and you should check the relevant third party website for more information about these.
This site uses Google Analytics which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solution on the web for helping us to understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so we can continue to produce engaging content. For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page.
We use up-to-date data storage and security techniques to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorised modification or unlawful destruction or accidental loss. All our employees and any third parties we engage to process your personal information are obliged to respect the confidentiality of your information.
You have the right to apply for a copy of the information we hold about you and to have any inaccurate information about you corrected. Please write to Executive Director, Seafarers UK, 8 Hatherley Street, LONDON, SW1P 2QT.